Sunday, March 4, 2012

Review: Got Game? by Stephanie Doyle

Publication Date: December 11, 2011
Publisher: TKA Distribution
ISBN: 9781937776206
Genre: Contemporary Romance- Suspense Elements
Obtained via Net Galley from TKA Distribution

The Blurb:

Oh, Yeah. Game On!

The world of professional golf is rocked when the new ranking system allows Reilly Carr- the country's best female player- to compete with the big boys. Now everyone wants to know if she will or won't play in golf's premier event...The American.

But her tough choices are complicated further when Luke Nolan- her on again, off again lover- suddenly decides now is the time to turn their friends-with-benefits set up into a real relationship!

If she's going to make the cut she'll need to battle her game, the press and most of all, her heart. The stakes have never been higher.

My Take:

I have always been a so-so fan of golf, don't really like watching it, but like to go to the driving range and hit-...errr... miss a few balls every once in a while. For me, it takes a talented writer and a great story to make me, a 24 year old bookworm, want to become a professional golfer. Ha Ha. But this story really made golf exciting for me.

Told in a very light, fun tone we get to experience the growth of Reilly Carr as she makes one of the biggest decisions of her career and as she deals with the repercussions of that decision. She loses friends from her women's circuit, gains enemies both on and off the course and struggles to redefine a relationship she's always wanted but was always afraid to pursue.

Reilly Carr and Luke Nolan are a great match, competitive enough to push the other toward greatness, but not so much so that it threatens their relationship. The sense of family loyalty in this story is great and the characters are all likable (well of course except for our stalker) That's right...stalker. Once Reilly is pushed into the limelight further after accepting the chance to play in The American, someone decides he wants Reilly to himself and only to himself. She receives threatening letters, creepy phone calls, usual stalkerish type behavior.

I loved this story, it wasn't so convoluted with golf descriptions that it weighed down the story, rather the golf action and training was weaved in perfectly throughout the story to give us a glimpse at what it's like to be a professional golfer and also to show us these wonderful characters personalities through the sport they know and love.

The sexual tension was hot, the sex ever hotter and it seemed to fit the characters to a T especially when you could see Reilly and Luke grow together even during the love scenes.

My only real complaint (spoiler alert! You've been warned!) is that, while I absolutely love when my heroine is married and pregnant in an epilogue, for me it felt like in love and married or not, this just didn't seem right for her character yet. I get that it's supposed to show that she's realized that golf isn't everything and it did and I thought the story had a good HEA and I felt it had closure, but I just didn't feel that it worked that she was pregnant yet. I feel like I would have liked to see how her life changed more in the golf world with her opponents, both male and female, in terms of competition etc. But even despite that, I'm still glad that finally after numerous divorces between them, that they finally found each other and their happy ending.

My Rating: "Fore"/Five Lattes



All My Best,

Kayla

No comments:

Post a Comment