Sunday, March 11, 2012

Review: Enraptured by Elisabeth Naughton

Publisher: Sourcebooks
Imprint: Sourcebooks Casablanca
Publication Date: April 1, 2012
ISBN:9781402262128
Genre: Paranormal Romance
Received via NetGalley
Book 4 of the Eternal Guardians Series


The Blurb:


Orpheus may have joined the elite protectors known as Eternal Guardians, but they’ve never trusted whose side he’s really on. And the half-daemon couldn’t care less. Orpheus has only one goal: rescue his brother from the Underworld. He’s not expecting a woman to get in the way, especially not one sent by Zeus to seduce, entrap, and then ultimately destroy him. A woman who will dredge up a past he doesn’t remember, a love that once condemned him, and a dark and deadly secret as old as the Eternal Guardians themselves.


My Take:


I'll admit that while this story intrigued me, I wasn't sure how I was going to feel about it when it came time to read it. What I mean by this is, I'm a big fan of Gena Showalters Lords of the Underworld series and being that this series of Ms. Naughton's also deals with Greek Gods, etc. I thought perhaps it would pale in comparison. I was wrong.


This is the fourth book in the series and I found that for the most part it stood alone very well since I personally haven't read the first three in the series. The storyline, though it deals with Greek Mythology, is nothing like the LOTU series by Gena Showalter.


Orpheus is trying to find an orb that will allow him to save his brothers life since Orpheus feels its his fault that his younger sibling lost his life to begin with. On this journey to find the orb, he is followed by Skyla, a siren, who was meant to find the orb and deliver it to her boss Zeus and not let it get into Orpheus' hands. However, in a twist she didn't expect, Orpheus happens to be the reincarnated version of the man she once loved and who's death she feels responsible for. She keeps this from him however. Orpheus isn't sure what's going on, only that he has an intense and unexplainable attraction to Skyla that irritates the hell out of him especially since he knows that she's only with him to take the orb from him once it's found.


There is not one but three Gods after them now trying to get the orb from them as possession of it will make the holder all-powerful so they team up together and Skyla realizes that she can't complete her mission because of her love for Orpheus.


There wasn't really ever a slow moment in this story, it was fast paced and fun and exciting. A tortured hero, a strong as hell heroine and a whole lotta evil ass to kick with extra spicy love scenes. I very much enjoyed the read. Except for a few things...


The use of the word déjà vu due to the hero and heroines past became annoying. I don't mind the whole reincarnated thing and I don't mind the sense of deja vu other that the fact that the term itself was used so often it became annoying to be. 


Also, while I enjoyed he glimpses into their last life together, at times it pulled me from the story and what was happening right that moment for them. 


Finally, SPOILER ALERT I love that they end up together but I've personally never been a fan of second chance at life type endings of this sort. The heroine died and got to choose between going to "heaven" or returning back to her life. Guess what she chose? Don't get me wrong, it wasn't that it wasn't executed wells much as its me not liking that particular type of ending... I feel it's an easy way to rescue things. Let's kill the heroine, but it's okay because I'll just bring her back from the dead so they can have their happily ever after... That's just me though.


Overall I really enjoyed it and I look forward to more of Ms. Naughton's work.


My rating: 3.5/5 Lattes





All My Best,


Kayla

No comments:

Post a Comment